Monday, July 19, 2021

Hospital

Sunday, June 13

After my birthday, Daddy and I were both sick.  I was at home trying to recover so wasn't around at Daddy's house much.  By Sunday morning things were much worse with Daddy and I went on down in spite of being sick.  Julie, Kerry, and I were trying to figure out the next steps and were so appreciative of the doctor who was assisting us by phone.  It was determined that we needed to call an ambulance because Daddy was exhibiting stroke-like symptoms.  He needed to get to a hospital, that was for certain.  Then it was determined that AirEvac to Boone Hospital was the best course of action.  Things were moving fast (as they needed to).  Of course, the timing of this was difficult - Mama's memorial service was scheduled for the next day.  Taking these steps insured that many of our family would miss that service.  But it was the only choice we had and it was definitely the correct one.  

The young men of Generation 3 spread out along the yard, driveway, and road to watch for the ambulance and direct them in.  We had the outside doors to Daddy's bedroom open for easy access.  But we soon realized there was some confusion in getting the medical personnel to the house.  Stephen was at the end of the driveway and saw the ambulance stop at another house.  He (and the people in that house) were able to direct the ambulance to our driveway.  At that same time a truck drove in the other way leading the AirEvac (from the ground) to the correct location.  It turned out that was dear Bill P who, when he heard folks were having a hard time figuring out where we were located offered to lead the way because he has been to potlucks out here in the past.  SO very grateful to Bill!  The ambulance came right to the house and they began evaluating Daddy.  The AirEvac couldn't land at Daddy's house because of all the trees, but ended up landing at our house - out by the pool.  So when Daddy was ready to be transported they had to first load him into the ambulance to take him up to the helicopter.  We were so impressed by everyone we encountered - their care, their professionalism... good people.  

But I have to say, as Julie and I were standing side by side in the front yard watching the paramedics prep Daddy to be taken to Boone, I wasn't even sure how to pray.  I really didn't want to lose my second parent in two weeks (and it sure was feeling like I could), but I also knew Daddy might not really want to stay.  My brain was about to shut down - from illness and grief... grief is such a funny thing.  It seeps into every aspect of your being.  Even (or especially) when you are unaware of it.  Clearly it affected our health.  All of us were wearing down.  This was such hard stuff and the baggage of grief was making it all so much harder.  I felt like I was already swimming - through a sick body, strange dreams, too much busyness and activity, and the devastating loss of my Mama.  All I could really do was hold onto my big sister - and remember to be thankful.  And there was much to be thankful for... for this family filled with a new, upcoming generation that can step in and take care of things, for a new generation being born - hope for a future, and for all the many memories of this wonderful life so far.  One thing I do know - God is good, all the time.  And that is not based on momentary circumstances.


Jackson walking out to view the AirEvac helicopter that was landing at our house.


And there it was - the 2nd time a parent had been taken in that helicopter in less than a year...


Daddy in the hospital on June 15 - looking much better.  Thankfully, he did not have a stroke.  He did have Parainfluenza 3 plus complications including severely low sodium (which mimicked stroke symptoms).  




1 comment:

  1. I cannot even imagine how that moment felt. So thankful your daddy is doing well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!