Monday, July 19, 2021

Mama's Memorial Service

June 14, 2021

Mama's Memorial Service
Clearly this day did not go the way that we had planned.  But all is well.  The service was beautiful - just perfect.  Mama would have loved it.  All the music was lovely and so perfect for Mama.  Julie has always played beautifully but I swear she brought something different to this one.  She played her heart out for Mama - she gave it all.  It was ethereal.  The last song she played during the prelude was Come Thou Fount.  That was Daddy's request because she used to play that for Mama and Daddy at the President's house.  And no matter what he was going through, hearing Julie play that on the grand piano in that living room would bring him peace.  What a gift.  Joe Potter made me cry with his song and the emotion he carried.  I was praying he would get through it, and he did.  So special and again, such a gift.  Jackson and Brianna did a magnificent job with Look At Us - Mama and Daddy's special song.  I could sense their emotion but they held it together and it was a perfect tribute.  And then the group singing at the end - It Is Well With My Soul - so lovely.  Julie accompanied them on the piano.  Exactly the right song for Mama - and for us to hear.  For the postlude, Julie returned to the piano and played Unclouded Day.  Another meaningful song - and placed right where it needed to be in the service.  

I hated not getting to see the people who came into town for the memorial service.  And as sad as I am that I missed my own Mama's memorial service (how is that even possible, my brain thinks??) it worked out fine.  I was able to sit in my chair with Marvin and watch the beautiful service and cry as much as I wanted to.  No worries about keeping it together.  Daddy, along with Kerry & Candace, who were with him in Columbia, also watched the service from his hospital room.  What a blessing the live-stream was and is.  As we were all watching I was aware of the number of people who were watching along with us.  Some wrote in the comments and many others were just there - present with us.  What a comfort.  

To all the wonderful people who made the day of the service go well - we offer our endless thanks.  From the ladies in the kitchen who served the meal following, to Theresa who took photos for me.  (thank you so much!)  Hannah also had a dear friend of hers, Christa, who took photos before and during the service.  What a gift they provided to our family.  We are indebted.  And of course, to Scott and Jennifer who did such a marvelous job honoring Mama... we are so thankful you are our clergy - and family.  There are so many more to thank but my brain still doesn't work quite like it should.   :(   For now, I'll share some of those photos that were taken by Theresa and Christa.  (and a few thrown in from others who sent some to me, as well.)


Saying good-bye to Jonathan as he left the house for the church... felt so strange to have to be left sitting at home.


Love this picture of Maverick that Theresa captured.  :)


Jonathan and Joe

The same display of photos that was initially set up at the visitation.


Stephen, Rachel, Matthew, and Anna

Jackson, Jennifer, Jonathan 



Julie practicing before the service 





dear Joe

Pastor Scott

Brianna and Jackson

Reverend Jennifer

family singing It Is Well With My Soul

Matthew, Joe, Megan, Zac, Rachel, Brianna, Hannah, Susanna


special thanks to Anne, Jill, Karen, and Donna!

Uncle Mitch



Charlie

Joe




Hannah, Zac, Susanna, Rachel, Stephen, Anna, Matthew,
Brianna, Maverick, Jackson, Jonathan, James, Rojina, Julie



Family photo after the memorial service - thank you to all who came!
And a special thanks to Theresa for getting these family photos!

Brianna and Maverick

Brianna, Maverick and Jackson

James and Rojina

Megan and Hannah

I love this photo of Scott and Maverick having a discussion!  :) 


Paul and Uncle Mitch

Donna, Stephanie, and Jane


Here is a video of the whole Memorial Service - the live stream from our church.  We are so grateful to them for this wonderful service.  


2 comments:

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!