I don't think I realized how hard this would be. I'm always behind on the blog, so that isn't the problem. :) But working through these posts at the end of May and into June - I'm having to work through the time period when we lost Mama. So there are 'lasts' and 'firsts' and things that hurt. This post holds the last photo I ever took of my dear and precious Mama. For taking so many photos, I am so disappointed that I didn't take another of her for a whole week before she died. But, on the flip side, I am thankful that I have always felt compelled to document our family life - it has provided a beautiful way to remember so many good things. And this was, indeed, a very good day. We gathered to celebrate Maverick's first birthday (a few days early). Oh, how thankful I am that we did. Mama died exactly one week later...
May 22, 2021
We had such a wonderful time celebrating sweet Maverick. He opened his gifts before the cake. He enjoyed unwrapping his presents.
This was his look when Marvin was bringing down his gift... :)
We got him a rocking horse like the boys used to have. Jackson and Jonathan loved that horse for years and years and we thought it would be a good gift for Maverick. He was a little unsure, but I think it grew on him. He did spend some time with it and we joked that he was 'training' it.
Maverick doing a little ground work with the horse...
:)
This was when Daddy was explaining about one particular card that Brianna was opening... it seems that Maverick 'told' Grandpa Jack that he thought his parents should enjoy a night out together at a restaurant so there was money in the card 'from Maverick' so they could do just that. :)
Still doing ground work. :D
Maverick was so cute when they brought his cake out with a candle lit and were singing Happy Birthday to him. He wasn't sure what was up, but he sure enjoyed it! :) Such a sweet, smiley guy.
Then he got his own piece of cake and we all just watched him eat it. He loved it! He ate every bite! I think his first birthday cake was a success! He did require a bath afterward... ha!
I think the sugar is hitting the system!!
Definitely need some milk with the cake!
Now he is a bathed boy - clean and ready to work with that horse again... but wait...
"Whoops! What happened Dad? I'm facing the wrong direction!" :)
I'm so thankful for this photo right here...
Maverick was serenading us on the piano...
He would stop and allow us time to applaud. :)
Riding a horse can be difficult! :) (Jackson still likes this toy!!)
GranGran riding the horse - that got Maverick's attention!! :D
That's MY horse, GranGran! :D
Time for 'Hop on Pop' - who happened to have a very full stomach. :D
Maverick checking out Grandma Laura's fan - he knows this is important to me. :D
Precious moments with people I love so much...
and this is the last photo I ever took with Mama in it.
Packing up and heading for home... it was a very good day.
Here is a link to an entire album of photos from this day...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/williscreekranch/albums/72157719484718604
And here is a video with snippets from the day...
And following that video, 2 more videos from his actual birthday and the day of his party at our house (that we missed - we were at the hospital with Mama - the day she died) :( I am just now adding that video to this post (in 2025 as an update). It was too painful before, but it is important to remember and draw joy from the celebration.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!