Perhaps the primary frustration that I face in trying to have this online family scrapbook called "Life at Willis Creek Ranch" is keeping up with the obnoxious web issues that pop up from time to time. They are typically random and 'computerized', so not a personal attack. However, they always sort of feel personal.
Just to let any other bloggers out there know, if you use Site Meter for your blog traffic analytics, I would highly recommend that you delete it at once. It isn't malware, but it does do some funky things to your site that are considered 'advertising'. ugh.
For years, Site Meter was a helpful application for tracking visits to the blog. Apparently, they have recently sold themselves to a somewhat sleazy advertising group, perhaps named Vindicosuite. All I know is that I began to see 'vindicosuite' appear in URL's from my blog periodically. Eventually, I would notice that some links would be taken over completely and sent to some random gardening website. At least it was gardening and not something really unsavory! I am thankful for that!
After doing an internet search, I discovered that I was definitely not the only one with this problem. And it appears that the blame lies squarely with Site Meter. So, I have just deleted Site Meter from every blog that I am associated with. I also cleared my browser cookies. I am hopeful that this will take care of everything. If, however, you find that you are somehow redirected to a gardening site (or something else unintentional) when visiting this blog, please do let me know. The good news, again, is that is doesn't appear to be malware - just ridiculous 'advertising'. I do believe the new owners of Site Meter are facing a mass exodus of their former customers.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!