Thursday, March 16, 2017

Trip to Kansas City


I had been feeling pretty awful for several days leading up to this long awaited trip to Kansas City.  In fact, just a few days earlier I was certain I wouldn't be able to make the trip.  God just gave me a huge gift in that I got to feeling better and was able to get through the trip without any problems.  So thankful!

Shonda and I had tickets to a Broken and Free conference in KC to hear Ann Voskamp speak.  She was joined by Christy Nockels and Rebekah Lyons.  I picked Shonda up from school just before lunch and we headed off toward KC.  It was a beautiful sunny day and we were both really excited to attend the conference.

When we got to the KC area we pulled over to call my cousin, Liz, whose house we were going to stay at.  She was hoping to attend the conference with us, but a severe broken ankle/foot changed that plan.  Sadly, her doctor had told her just that day that she was not to have any activity on that foot at all.  :(  Thus, we now had an extra ticket and began thinking of someone we could give it to at the last minute.  None of our ideas worked out so we headed to the conference a bit early to get in line.  One of the first things we saw was the sign stating that the conference was completely sold out.




We were among the first people there, joining a lady who was sitting in a chair at the entrance.  We thought she might be a volunteer with the conference but as we began to chat with her we realized she was there to attend but didn't have a VIP ticket.  Perfect, I thought!  As I was reaching in my purse to offer her Liz's ticket, another lady that I hadn't really noticed before came running toward me asking if she could buy that ticket from me.  I felt a bit awkward because I was clearly about to give it to the lady sitting in the chair.  But that lady just paused, smiled, and then said, "Give it to her.  She drove here from Wichita, on faith alone, hoping to get a ticket.  I have a regular admission ticket, but she has no ticket at all."  I turned to the new lady and gave her the ticket.  She offered to pay and I told her it was simply a gift.  She thanked me then asked whose ticket it was, so I told her the story about Liz and her painful injury.  She wrote down her name and said she would pray for Liz.  She also asked if she could purchase one of Ann Voskamp's books for Liz and I said, "yes, that would be perfect!"  How nice of her to think of that.  And what a blessing to be a part of helping her attend the conference.  Of course, God had it all worked out.  :D


Here we are with our two new friends - Arlene, Laura, Shonda, and Ann (who we gave the ticket to)

Eventually, the line got long as we all waited for the doors to open.  We were hoping that Arlene might end up with a VIP ticket so she could come in for the Q&A before the conference.  When the doors opened, Shonda led Ann and me to the very front of the church - pretty much the best seats in the house!  :D  Then, just minutes before the Q&A started we looked up to see Arlene coming to join us!  She had gotten a VIP ticket just in the nick of time.  :D  What a great moment!

Arlene, Anna, Laura, and Shonda

We enjoyed the pre-conference Q&A with Christy Nockels, Ann Voskamp, and Rebekah Lyons.  We didn't think to take a photo (yes, we were that enthralled!!) but a lady sitting near us took this one and shared it with us.  :)



After the Q&A we realized why the seats directly in front of us were marked 'Reserved'.  They were for Ann Voskamp and Rebekah Lyons to sit while Christy Nockels opened the conference with worship!  :D  (Shonda sure knew right where we should sit, didn't she??)  :D

Ann sitting right in front of us.  :)

This cracked me up!  Shonda totally photobombed this lady's picture
with Rebekah Lyons.  We asked her to text it to us and she did.  :D
Bonding with our fellow conference attendees!  :)

The conference was wonderful - uplifting and renewing.  I kept thinking how grateful and thankful I was to be well enough to attend!  That was a complete gift from God (especially since I ended up having surgery less than a week after this!)  

Christy Nockels opening the conference with worship

Rebekah Lyons, Ann Voskamp, and Christy Nockels

Ann Voskamp

Christy Nockels

Rebekah Lyons

Ann spoke twice during this conference - powerful stuff.

After the conference we were able to get in the VIP line to meet and greet all three of them.  It was wonderful to get to visit with each lady and have them autograph our books and CD's.

Shonda with Christy Nockels

Laura with Christy Nockels

Rebekah Lyons signing my copy of her book 

Shonda visiting with Rebekah Lyons




I was able to tell Ann about a dear friend of mine -
and how Ann's books are a healing ministry for many.  

so glad Shonda got this picture of me and Ann

Shonda with Ann

One thing that tickled me... when Shonda and I explained to Ann that 'we are the mothers-in-law' she got a huge smile and said 'there is hope for me!'   I think one thing she loved is that we are so close.  (I do, too!)



We got back to Liz's house pretty late in the evening, but feeling restored and truly blessed.  Here is a funny aside... we were super tired but when we climbed into Liz's guest bed we both went 'WOW'!  That was the most comfortable bed!  As Shonda said, it felt like it was hugging us!  :)  The next morning I asked Liz about it, fully expecting her to tell me it was some super expensive mattress.  She smiled and said, "believe it or not, that is a 'bed in a box' from Costco!"  WHAT??  So, Shonda and I were from that moment forward 'on a mission' to find me a bed like that!  Marvin and I have been needing a new bed for a couple years now!  This was perfect!

Dear Liz, Laura, and Margaux

We started our day with breakfast at The Corner Bakery.  We had gotten our early supper there the night before based on Liz's recommendation and it was fantastic!  We knew exactly where we would return for breakfast!

The Corner Bakery

Feeling truly sustained and ready for the day, we headed to... where else??  IKEA!  :D

Well, hello there!!!

Almost immediately we saw this cabinet that Shonda had first spotted in the St. Louis IKEA.  But, it was now $100 off!!!  We measured it, sent photos to Jeremy, and then knew that it was going home with Shonda.  :)  As it turns out, Shonda got the very last one in the store!!  Score!   :)





I had to get a few more of those pillows I love so much.  And of course, some cinnamon rolls.  Shonda and I each tried out the Swedish meatballs this time around.  (Note - they were delicious!)

Another successful day spent at IKEA.  :)

And a note about the bed - Although Shonda and I looked at Costco, then a mattress store, and even at IKEA, we weren't able to find the right 'bed in a box' to take home.  That was okay, though, because I now knew what I was looking for and that was the main starting point.

Again, I am just so very thankful that I was able to make this trip.  It is true that the next day after returning home, I wasn't doing so well... but this 'blessing in the midst' was truly a gift.

Affiliate links to highly recommended products....
Ann Voskamp The Broken Way book The Broken Way: A Daring Path into the Abundant Life and  Ann Voskamp - The Broken Way Study Set (Study Guide + DVD)

Rebekah Lyons You Are Free: Be Who You Already Are

Christy Nockels Let it Be Jesus

1 comment:

  1. I love how close you and Shonda are. Glad you were able to go on this road trip.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!