Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Mac and Cheese (IP)



Mac and Cheese in the Instant Pot
16 oz. pasta (I used elbow macaroni)
1 box chicken broth (about 4 cups)
16 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
8 oz. american cheese
1 tsp. dry mustard
½ cup milk
2 Tbsp. butter

Place pasta in the Instant Pot with the chicken broth.  Put the lid on and set vent to seal.  Cook on Manual High pressure for 4 minutes.  (Note - cook pasta in the instant pot for ½ the time the box says you would boil it.  So, if box says boil for 8 minutes, cook in IP for 4.)  Do a quick release.  Place the Instant Pot on Saute then stir in the milk, butter, and mustard.  Stir in cheese and keep stirring until it is smooth and melted (about 1-2 minutes).  At this point you can either turn off the Instant Pot and serve, or you can put the mac and cheese in an oven safe baking dish and pop in the oven for 5 minutes at 400 degrees to brown up the top.  (that is what I did)

Note - I may have added more milk and cheese.  I just put in until it 'looked right'.  :D  

Here are a couple photos of this mac and cheese after baking in the oven - anywhere from 5 minutes... 



to 45 minutes (for a crispier version)



1 comment:

  1. I've been wondering how to make homemade mac and cheese in the pot. I would imagine any recipe with the same technique will work. I'll have to experiment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!