Friday, March 17, 2017

Goodbye gall bladder

I have never been one to have stomach issues.  Instead, perhaps to my detriment, I have always been able to eat anything I like!  :)  That is, until a couple of weeks ago.

The day started out well.  It was a bright sunny morning - perfect weather for transferring ownership of the 2004 truck over to Jeremy.  After that, Shonda and I picked up Marti at work and headed to lunch at Ruby Tuesday.  We all ordered the same thing - a healthy lunch of roasted zucchini, roasted cauliflower, and green beans.  Then we were on to our main goal of the day... a tour of the Amish stores in the area.  Several hours later we had visited 4 different Amish/Mennonite stores and had a trove of treasure in the back of the car.  :)

Noosa yogurt for 25 cents a piece????  YES!!!!

Shonda really likes those Milano cookies!  ;)

Shonda, Marti, and Laura

As we separated out our purchases back in the original parking lot, we all caught a whiff of a local Mexican restaurant.  Oh, it smelled so good!  I determined right then to go straight home and make fajitas for supper!  That is exactly what I did.  And about 45 minutes after eating my delicious homemade fajitas, I felt like someone was sticking a burning torch into my side!  It came on fast and furious, but Marvin and I both knew what I was dealing with.  My symptoms were exactly as his had been several years ago when his gall bladder failed.  In spite of the pain we had to chuckle at one coincidence... the night he had so much trouble with his gall bladder, I had also made Mexican - enchiladas.  I am thinking there might be a lesson in there somewhere???  ;)

I got through Saturday night (barely) and was a tiny bit better Sunday morning.  Until I tried to eat something.  By Sunday night I was again in horrible pain and knew that I was going to have to go to the doctor.  We called first thing Monday morning and they were able to see me that afternoon.  By this time I had quit eating, period, so was doing a little better.  :)  We scheduled an ultrasound for Wednesday.  (Yes... I wanted to go along with the family to pick up Jonathan's truck on Tuesday.  I know...)

By Wednesday I was doing really well.  I hadn't eaten hardly anything so nothing was there to bother my gall bladder.  The ultrasound showed no gallstones and I began to wonder if this whole thing would just blow over.  Because I was doing so well, I decided that I could make the trip to KC that I had long been waiting for.  Although that trip went exceedingly well (and I consider that whole thing to be a flat out giant gift from God that it did!) by the weekend I was back in horrible pain.  On Monday I had a HIDA scan which showed that my gall bladder was only functioning at 14%.  Tuesday I met with the surgeon who scheduled surgery to remove the gall bladder the very next day.  I was definitely ready, as the pain was increasing each day at this point.

Wednesday morning I was 2nd in line for surgery, and was in and out to recovery by noon.  By 2:30 I was in the car (with Jonathan chauffeuring) and on the way home.  While the surgery went extremely well, I was unfortunately terribly nauseated from the pain meds they gave me at the hospital and threw up for the next 12 hours.  Not at all fun.  :(

By Thursday I was sitting up in my chair eating toast that my beloved husband cut into little triangles for me.  It truly is the little things.  ;)




All is well and I am glad to have that gall bladder gone!  In spite of the difficulty I had with throwing up, the pain from the gall bladder was gone immediately after surgery.  What a relief!  Who knows why my gall bladder just quit on me.  But all worked out well and I am so thankful.  I am also grateful to everyone who took such good care of me in the hospital.  I received tremendous care!

And a special thank you to all who graciously provided meals or groceries or flowers/gifts or prayers and notes of encouragement.  You are all so very appreciated!





1 comment:

  1. Scarey! I'm glad you're on the mend now and not having to deal with the pain.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!