Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Chili

I just love a big bowl of chili on a cold night.  Talk about comforting!  Everyone seems to make chili differently - we make ours more soup-like.  It is just how we have always done it so that is how it is done!  :)

Brown 1 pound of lean ground beef in a large pot.  Rinse with water and drain when beef is about halfway cooked then add 1/2 an onion (chopped) and finish browning both.  Add in chili powder - covering the beef/onions.  (I wish I knew how much I use here... I just shake it in till it looks right.  I like to get it mixed into the beef and onions really well.  Maybe a 1/3 cup?  I would have to suggest taste testing starting with tablespoons.)   I then add 2 cans of chili style beans and 1 can of black beans (drained) along with a 15 oz. can of petite diced tomatoes.  Add a large can of tomato juice (or V8) and about 1/2 cup of ketchup.  I also add a couple of beef bouillon cubes, some garlic, about 1 Tbsp. of brown sugar and a bay leaf.  (And a bit more chili powder if needed)  :)

Let simmer for awhile.  And it is always better the next day.  :)


3 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I can't wait to try this and hope that it tastes half as good as when you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh, I can't wait for it to get cold enough to make chili down here in Oklahoma. Sure looks yummy!
    Peace, Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew I had forgotten something! I just corrected the recipe by adding about 1 Tbsp. of brown sugar (or in our case, Splenda Brown Sugar).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!