Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Biology Resources

I thought I would post a quick update outlining some of the resources we are using for Biology this year.  Some are actually a part of our course, taught by Kerry.  Others are extras that we have added in here and there.  Of course, in addition to the listed resources, two main components of our study this year have been to get outside and actually observe nature through nature walks, and microscopy labs using prepared slides as well as items found during those nature walks (or even cells from our own cheeks).  Like all courses Kerry leads, Biology is a ton of fun!

Course supplies and resources
Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Botsford Comstock
Golden Guide Pond Life
Peterson's Field Guide to Birds of North America
Lyrical Life Science Vol. 1 and Vol. 2  (full sets)
Pollution and the Death of Man by Francis Schaeffer
Optical Microscope with Slide Set and Dissection Kit

Extras that we have added on just for fun!
My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
Pagoo by Holling C. Holling
One Day in the Woods by Jean Craighead George
Water Dance by Thomas Locker
A Drop Around the World by Barbara Shaw McKinney

Nature Study Through Living Books Guide for Pagoo - by Queen Homeschool Supply

Planet Earth documentary by David Attenborough - Season 1, Episode 3 "Freshwater"


I'll try to remember to post another resource update in January.  I have added an Amazon Widget in the left column of the main page of this blog to keep track of Biology Resources we use this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!