Tuesday, November 8, 2011

20 pounds and counting...

Well, I can hardly believe it, but I have lost 20 pounds in the last 2 months.  I am so excited about it!  But, I still have 40 more to go.  I plan to be at my goal weight by June 1, 2012.  I know I can do it.  And that feels SO good.

How have I been able to do it?  By following that very simple (but dreaded) formula - counting calories and exercise.  I am using sparkpeople.com and find it to be absolutely invaluable!  I can't believe it is a free service - it is SO good!  I can keep track of every calorie I take in, even using the recipe calculator to input our family favorites.  Seeing everything there in print helps keep me on track.  And it has shown me some surprising things.  Some foods that I would have thought were 'good' choices, simply are not!  I have honed my eating habits, including portion size, and it has made all the difference.  I am also exercising most days of the week - trying for at least an hour of walking a day (or more).  Sparkpeople tracks my exercise and calories burned as well, even offering suggestions and demos for workouts.  I feel so much stronger already.  I have dropped a couple of clothing sizes and am no longer a 'Plus size woman'!!   That has done more for my psyche than just about anything else.  I can finally shop in the 'regular' women's sizes.  Yay!!  It's been awhile...

Okay, here is the proof...  I have to say it is difficult to share the 'before' photo here - which is silly, I guess, because I posted it in an album from our trip to Tennessee just a couple of months ago.  But, it is hard to see and 'feel' the pain of being so huge.  I feel SO much better now, but it just takes one look at the old photo to feel the despair again.  It does help me to see how far I have come - and helps to motivate me to continue with my progress.  I am only 1/3 of the way there, but... I AM 1/3 of the way there!!  :)  So, here goes...

August 27, 2011

November 6, 2011

11 comments:

  1. That is AWESOME! I had lost 30 lbs., but unfortunately, I'm not as dedicated as you. I think I've put on several since Halloween! I need to be more diligent, but I have a feeling that my lack of willpower is going to get the best of me until after Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura! That's wonderful!! Great job sticking with it. Love the new picture, you look mahvelous, dahling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome, Laura! I need to lose 20 lb. I am so NOT motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, I'm so proud of you! I can see the difference and am so glad you are feeling so good! The best part, in my mind, is how happy you sound. Thanks for the inspiration & encouragement this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all! I'll update again after the next 20 pounds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are an inspiration, Laura, and an awesome sister! :)

    PEACE
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU ARE AN AWESOME DAUGHTER!! Magnificent!! Love, daddy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so proud of you! It's tough work. I have 15 - 25 lbs to go and need to stay motivated through all this traveling. I find I've not worked out for a couple of weeks - hard for me to do when my schedule is disrupted - but that's an excuse and if I'm not careful I'll gain 10 - 15 my the New Years. LOL

    I can see the difference in your photo - you are doing great! 20 lbs in 2 months is an amazing pace to me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had great success using sparkpeople.com. That free website is incredible! It tracks everything I eat, all my exercise, keeps me on track with goals, nutrition, etc. And more! :) I kind of can't believe how the weight is coming off. I am only counting calories and exercising. I think it proves that I was eating for a family of 6 before.... :/

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're doing great! I'm going to have to check out sparkpeople. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!