Saturday, May 20, 2023

May Wine Club - Spring Sips

May 19, 2023
Wine Night was wonderful as always.  On this evening we sampled 6 wines from the Wine Folly wine club.  This set was called 'Spring Sips' and oh my, were they delicious!  I my low score was a 4 (out of 5!)  I had three 4.5's and two 5's.  VERY good wines.  I was so intrigued by the long video (the live streaming of their tasting) and so decided to share that one.  But next time I think we will watch the shortened videos about each specific wine.  That would work better with a group.  (I can always enjoy the long format streaming version on my own.)  :)  I do feel like Wine Folly is getting their act together and doing a better job each month with the format and the videos.  And clearly, the wines they select are stellar!  

We had a ton of delicious food.  No surprise there!  
 

Jennifer brought these yummy stuffed mushrooms and the goat cheese, as well.

Janet brought this yummy salad - Spring Asparagus salad with lemon vinaigrette.  It paired wonderfully with the 2nd wine - the Bordeau white blend.  Sooooo good.  Will definitely need to replicate. 


Judy brought scallops - always so tasty. 

Diane brought beef stroganoff - a suggestion to pair with one of the red wines.  Delicious!

Andrea brought the samosa from Aldi - those have really been a hit, multiple times!

Realizing I am not sure who brought the brownies?  Maybe Andrea, too?  
Boy did they pair well with the last wine, in particular! 

I had this frozen Lemon Cake from Walmart.  Not too bad, actually. 

Cheesy corn dip

I got so tickled to learn that Andrea and Dean also make H's dip and call it that same name.  Joelean mentioned that Ken makes it often for his parties.  I would say there are a bunch of us with happy memories of Too Tall and this dip!  :) 

H's Dip

Julie brought this stir fry with a slight sweet and sour base -
a suggestion to pair with one of the wines. 

Lora brought this chicken schwarma - really good! 

This was our first wine - a sparkling. Very good but my only 4 of the evening. 

Wine #1 - 2019 Can Descregut Brut Nature Reserva Corpinnat
from Corpinnat, Spain (sparkling wine)


Diane had coined one of our wines from our Nepali night at Julie's house as 'red velvet'.  Well, this she coined as 'white velvet'.  So true!  I have gone ahead and ordered a couple more bottles.  And this was my first *5* of the night. 

Wine #2 - 2021 Chateau Ducasse Bordeaux Blanc from Bordeaux,
Gironde, France (white bordeaux - semillon/
sauvignon blanc blend)

This was 70% Semillon and 30% Sauvignon Blanc.  
Not the typical blending ratio.  We LOVED it!!!

This was good and I loved the color and the video showcasing the winemaker.  He used to be a worldwide BMX champion in the early 90's and one of the ladies in the livestream was truly 'fan girling' and I was totally with her there.  :D 

Wine #3 - 2021 Weingut Beurer Trollinger from Württemberg, Germany
(Trollinger is a wine/grape similar to Pinot Noir)


This was good, too.  Many liked it even more than the previous one.  I think I liked them both the same.  Both 4.5 wines. 

Wine #4 - 2021 Planeta Frappato from Vittoria, Sicilia, Italy
(Frappato is an indigenous red wine/grape from Sicily)


This was a deep and smooth wine.  Dark ruby and thick almost - Dao from Portugal.  Interesting and tasty - a 4.5. 

Wine #5 - 2018 Mira Do O Vidente from Dao, Portugal (red blend)


Then we finished with this one - a South American wine - Carmenere from Chile.  We are all realizing we really like South American wines.  Malbec from Mendoza Argentina and so on.  This grape is compared to Merlot and it was smooth and delicious and SO good with those brownies.  My second *5* for the evening. 

Wine #6 - 2019 Lapostolle Wines Grand Selection Carmenere from
Valle de Colchagua, Chile (Carmenere is the wine/grape - similar to Merlot)

my second *5* for the evening

Andrea, Jennifer, Judy, Laura, Lora, Julie, Diane, Janet

What wonderful ladies.  So thankful for them in my life. 

We opened this wine after the official tasting.  Everyone really liked it.  I am definitely into Cortese wine lately - and especially those from Gavi, Italy.  Yum!



my wine sheet from the tasting


We sent a quick 'good night' video to Daddy.  :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!