Monday, November 29, 2021

Little Upgrades

Over the last few months we have been making a few little upgrades around the house. They aren't much but I am (mostly) really happy with them. Small changes can feel good, especially in a house that is over 20 years old. It is far past time for these upgrades! 

The first thing was to change out the light fixtures in the hall bath and the master bath.  Gone are those old Hollywood lights (that were, frankly, NEVER a good idea.)  :D  They have been replaced with a pretty simple light fixture that took about 2 minutes to choose.  So not a ton of thought, but already better than before!  (this is pretty much how I roll with house decor...)  ha!  So glad Jackson knows how to do electrical stuff... we have been putting him to work lately.  


removing the old lights in the master bathroom


And here are the new lights.  Still need to paint the wall where the old base was,
but that will come.  :D  One really nice thing is these actually put out a lot of light!   

same process in the hall bath...

new lights installed - I like them!

I'm laughing at this proof that we still have those dolphins swimming on the wall in this bathroom.  These new lights illuminated the room so well that Maverick noticed the dolphins for the first time.  Those dolphins aren't coming down anytime soon now!!  :)  He loved them! 

Now to replace the chandelier in the dining room...

this thing was so dated and didn't put out much light anyway


Again, I chose the new one fairly quickly, but am happy with it.  



As with the bathroom lights, this new chandelier puts out more light
than the previous one.  That is very good.  

Looks nice!

Our shades had gotten to where they didn't even work enough to raise or lower them anymore.  It was time to replace.  But I was really shooting in the dark trying to get what we wanted.  I think I did okay with the blinds.  The new ones are on the left.  The old ones were too yellowy anyway.  

These blinds are cordless, which is much better for Maverick.  
You can see a new blind and the new chandelier in this photo. 

The fellas have been installing new lights in the horse barn, too.
 Jonathan sent me this photo of Jackson.  Yikes!

Poor Marvin... after he got the piano deconstructed, it was time to build
a new computer desk for me.  What a dear and wonderful man.  

People ask how he does all this kind of work not being able to see well.  The answer is simply,
he is incredible.  He does things by feel and concentration.  And years of experience.

I really like my new computer desk - I think it blends with our main furniture nicely
and will work just fine in the dining room.  

And here was our final upgrade.  This is where my success record got stalled out a bit...
if you have been to my house you might remember we had a really nice curtain type
vertical blind on these doors.  At over 20 years old it had to be replaced and I
searched and searched to find what I wanted.  Ordered it and the guys installed it and...
it bears absolutely NO resemblance to what we used to have!  
As in... we used to have elegance...


...and now the vibe is distinctly "Welcome to the Holiday Inn"

sigh... at least I don't have to worry about Mav hurting them.  :D 

Just a couple days after this I was at my dentist's office and, sure enough,
they had this same blind (shorter version) in the window of the exam room.  ha!


Oh well... Mav seems intrigued by them.  :D 

but boy, are they ugly! 

they will get us by for awhile...


Thankful to Jackson for all his help with these projects!  And his little helper, too.  :D 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!