Wednesday, November 3, 2021

When you are going for a crowded table but...

I have a funny story to share with you all.  I have shared it already with some who have been at my house... but it is too good to not share here on the blog.  Well, at least I hope that is the case.  :D 

Many years ago, when Marvin and I were living in Bellevue, there was a store in the mall near our house that sold items like pictures and frames.  I would go there from time to time as we were decorating our house and on one trip I saw a painting that I absolutely fell in love with.  I was so taken by it that I would 'visit' it whenever I was in that mall.  I can remember standing there in front of it in the store, taking in the whole view - the lighting, the ambience, the relaxed and joyful vibe I got from it... I loved it all!  It looked exactly like what I dreamed about - dinner parties where people are happy and contented after a wonderful meal - still hanging around visiting and laughing.  A perfect picture for what I envisioned happening in our own dining room in the years to come.  

I even took my Mama to visit it one time when she came down.  Not long after that, around my birthday, I received that very painting, frame and all, at my door.  Mama had bought it for me as a birthday present.  It went proudly on our dining room wall that same day - and has been on every dining room wall since then.  In our current home I admit that I used it, even if subconsciously, as a guide for creating our dining room.  The painting seemed to embody the feeling of hospitality and welcoming that I wanted to convey to all.  So, all this to say, you see and perhaps feel how important and special this painting has always been to me.  For so MANY reasons.  

Here it is!  I took this photo of this very painting hanging on my dining room wall.

Earlier this fall I was looking for an image of a table scene to use for another purpose and so of course, I thought of my beloved painting and went searching online for a good digital version that I could use.  The painting is called 'The End of Dinner', by Jules Alexandre Grun, from 1913.  Well, if you know me, you know I love to learn...  :)  So as I was googling I was delighted to discover a short video about the painting.  I settled in to find out more about my beloved picture...

Here is a good quality digital version of the painting - you can really see the detail here.  

About the video... the title should have alerted me but it went right over my head... "and now For Dessert'.  Anyway, the guy tells a bit about the artist and his other work and then he begins looking in detail at 'my' beloved painting.  He points out that it is clearly after dinner and people are visiting. (check)  But then he points out that the women are all young and beautiful, painted in peaches and light. (check)  He notes that one lady is removing her glove while smiling at a man - going against the etiquette of the day.  (check...)  Then he points out the buxomness of another lady and the bright red drape on yet another.  (uh, check?)   Then finally he points out that all the men are old and sallow - and almost lasciviously looking at the young women!  In fact, this is a gentleman's dinner and the ladies are... dessert????  WHAT???????  NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!  You mean to tell me that for 27 years I have had old men with prostitutes hanging on my dining room wall???????  Oh my....

I immediately ran into the dining room and looked closely at my beloved picture.  Yup, everything he said is there - but I never once saw it before!  Not even a glimmer!  Of course now I have to wonder how many others DID see it??  I know for a fact that I have pointed it out to some and told them how I wanted to emulate that scene (in modern style).  Whoops!  hahahahaha!!!!  I mean, I am married to an older guy so I guess I just didn't 'see' the problem??  Whooo boy.  

I have had time to process my trauma :) and this picture is not going anywhere.  It will remain on my dining room wall.  :)  I still love it AND it was a gift from my dear Mama.  I know she would be laughing a LOT at this turn of events.  (I have to wonder if/when SHE knew and was simply waiting for me to figure it out...)  For me, I will choose to look at it the same way I always have - a joy filled room with people who are happy to be together.  

In fact, this summer I discovered a song that really DOES embody the hospitality and welcoming nature that I have always wanted to demonstrate... 

Crowded Table by the Highwomen



You see, what I was going for all along was a crowded table... I just ended up (inadvertently) with 'and for dessert...'   ;)  I'm so incredibly thankful for the many years of crowded tables and the dear, dear ones who have surrounded them.  I remember them all...

Here is the video that (briefly, at least) 'traumatized' me.  :D  ha! 

https://youtu.be/bDag5JEJp-g



And finally, I was struck during October wine night that I was witnessing a perfect demonstration of this dream (come true).  




2 comments:

  1. Oh, Laura, how funny!

    I looked at the painting before I read you blog and had noticed the “ladies” and the setting. Then I read your entry about your history of finding it, visiting it, your mom’s gift to you, and how it traveled with you to each home. My thought was, “You need to have all your family members recreate this scene!”

    Then I watched the video and heard the artist’s true meaning and really laughed!! (Maybe your family won’t be recreating this scene)

    I could picture your reaction as the meaning unfolded. Then I laughed even more when I watched Hannah’s video of you describing it to Julie! Priceless!!

    What a treasured family story! Indeed, your momma is smiling down at you. 🤭

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha!! I will toss your idea out there to the family at Christmas perhaps!! hahahaha!! (I think you are right... no plans for recreating at this moment in time! ha!) Thank you, Barb, for your sweet comment. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!