Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Loaded Mashed Potato Soup

Loaded Mashed Potato Soup
5-7 bacon strips, (save some of the bacon grease)
4-6 leeks thinly sliced, or an onion, diced
carrots - I used one bag shredded - but should use 3-4 carrots cut penny style
1 large box chicken broth (plus one boxful of water)
1 Tbsp. chicken better than bouillon
leftover mashed potatoes (we had a LOT and that was really good for the proportions
        listed here... we had 6-8 cups at least)
1 cup shredded cheese
2 cups milk, warmed
salt & pepper to taste


Cook 5-7 bacon strips - I like to do that in the oven.  Drain bacon on paper towels on a plate.  Use several Tbsp. of the bacon grease to saute the leeks in a big stockpot.  (I used 5 leeks today but can use regular onion another day).

Saute the leeks until soft, then add carrots.  I only had shredded carrots today.  Would prefer to cut up regular carrots next time.  Saute them with the onions in the bacon grease.  I poured in one large carton of chicken broth, then added another box of just water.  Added a heaping spoonful of Better Than Bouillon chicken.  Then add in the leftover mashed potatoes.  Stir to mix it up as much as you can.  I also crumbled the bacon up and added it in at this point.  Put the lid on to let it all simmer awhile.  

Warm 2 cups milk in microwave and then pour into the soup, while stirring.  Added about 1 cup shredded cheese.  Add salt & pepper to taste.  

(I still like regular potato soup or my hearty cream of vegetable soup better, but this was a good way to use up mashed potatoes.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!