Friday, May 14, 2021

Roxie and her filly - Day 1

April 29, 2021

After all the excitement of the late night before, it was pure joy to see a healthy new filly standing with its Mama in the barn that morning.  




Roxie and her new filly - first morning on the farm.


Here are Marvin's own words to describe the early morning after the birth.  

I got up early and went down to the barn to check on the mare and foal.  I was concerned about the mare not passing all her afterbirth the night before.  But when I got to the barn I saw she had passed the rest of it and was doing fine.  The foal was up on her feet nursing and looked alert and was doing well.  I fed the mare and gave her water and replenished her hay.  Jackson came and we opened up the stall to let the mare and foal go out into the connecting pen.  The foal was running around and standing on her legs well and nursing.  Everything looked good.  The mare was taking good care of her.  We really don't know much about the mare since we have had her on the place less than a week.  She was a lot more protective this morning and didn't want us getting anywhere near the filly.  We had separated them briefly when turning them out to the pen so we could doctor the umbilical cord on the foal.  Roxie didn't like that too much.  We cleaned out the stall and put new bedding in while they were enjoying the fresh air and sunshine of the outer pen.  We checked the placenta left in the stall and it was all there or all complete and as it should be. Everything seems to be progressing normally.  I had been paying attention to see if the oxygen had been cut off on the foal because it took so long to deliver.  But she seems very alert and physically strong and gives no indication that anything bad had occurred.  So that is all very good news.  

Jackson and Marvin were moving the mare and filly from the run-out stall on the north side to the run-out stall on the south side because it was warmer and protected from the wind.  Maverick and I were waiting to see them come out.  :)  






Grandma Sue and Grandpa Jack drove up to take a look at the filly.  Grandma Sue was also taking a look at Maverick.  :) 




Maverick looking in at Roxie and her baby, too!  :)






Grandpa Jack watching Maverick  :) 




Jackson getting hands on the filly to 'start the introduction' - getting familiar with him.

Letting the Mama mare know he isn't a threat



she is a sweet filly - open to people


Grandma Laura: "Hey Maverick, who's the cutest little boy in the land?"


Maverick: "Why, I am, Grandma Laura!" 










The filly looks so nice.  Hard to believe she is less than 24 hours old!




Maverick giving one last look as we head back to the house.  :) 


Here is a link to a photo album with more photos from the birth (the night before) and this first day.

And here is a video with snippets from this first day with the new filly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!