Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Trimming horses

May 14, 2020

The boys have had ample opportunity this year to hone their skill of trimming horses hooves.  That is quite a job!  Jackson, in particular, spent several days in May working on a couple of horses hooves that are especially problematic.  It is back breaking work but so necessary for healthy hoof care.  I am impressed by his skill.


Jackson and Marvin at the horse barn.
(Poor Jonathan was stuck inside studying for a Calculus 2 final.)


waiting (patiently) for me to stop talking
so they can get back to business.  ;)  ha!

It is an interesting process to trim a horses hoof.

Jackson getting ready to trim Annie's hooves.

You first clean out the hoof.  Then you lift the leg and
place the hoof in the stand.

You cut the wall of the hoof down with nippers
(sort of like huge nail clippers)

You use the nippers to trim around the hoof wall down to the sole.

After the hoof has been trimmed down with the nippers, then you use the rasp to smooth and level out the hoof.  (sort of like a big, heavy nail file).  I didn't stay long enough to get photos of that, though.  I will have to do better next time!  :) 


Another day, another horse!

This time it was Bella's turn to be trimmed. 


I don't know why,
but this photo makes me chuckle.  :) 



Mom is still talking and taking photos   ;) 


This guy was finally done with his semester so was able to join in.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!