Saturday, December 19, 2020

Grandma Jewell's Banana Bread

I can't believe I still don't have a photo of this recipe. We have been making this recipe for decades. I just pulled it out again in the last few weeks because I wanted banana bread that was NOT low in sugar or fat. :D  ha!  Sometimes you just need the full-on real thing. This banana bread gives you all of that. This is my Grandma Jewell's Banana Bread recipe. I definitely think of her when I make this.

Grandma Jewells Banana Bread
¾ cup butter, softened
1½ cups sugar
1½ cups mashed ripe bananas (4-6 bananas)
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
½ cup buttermilk**
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
¼-½ tsp. salt

Cream butter and sugar well.  Add bananas, eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk.  Mix well. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.  Add to bowl with flour mixture, blending well as you add.  Pour into greased loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1½ hours.   Makes one large loaf or two small loaves. 

**Note - you can substitute powdered buttermilk and ½ cup water for the ½ cup buttermilk if you like.  I like to keep SACO brand buttermilk powder on hand in my refrigerator for use in recipes like this and buttermilk biscuits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!