Sunday, May 6, 2012

World Fest 2012

The end of April we headed out on our maiden voyage in the new Jayco fifth wheel. Our destination was an old favorite... Table Rock Lake for World Fest at Silver Dollar City.  I was pretty nervous about pulling the new rig.  It is just so much bigger than our old camper!  But, I have to say that it wasn't nearly as difficult or scary as I thought it would be.  Truly, a fifth wheel really DOES pull easier than a bumper hitch.  People always say that, but I wasn't so sure...   I survived what I feared were the big hurdles along the way... namely, pulling in and out of gas stations and backing into the site at Table Rock.  It doesn't hurt anything that we are such creatures of habit that we typically stay in the very same campsite, so I was on familiar ground.  Jackson and Marvin were great at guiding me from the outside and we worked together well to get her backed in straight.  Jackson had offered to back it in for me, but I was determined to NOT let my 16 year old son show me up!!   :D   (although, I have to admit, I almost caved...)   :)



love all the room in the living area!

plenty of room for me to spread out and make a mess of dinner.   :)

We always enjoy World Fest, but I am pleased to report that I think this season was their best in quite awhile.  SDC had a lot of new acts for the festival and they were all wonderfully entertaining.

Among this years highlights...

The Mariachi Divas - Mexico - (loved them so much I bought a CD).




La Bella Musica - Italy - they were a bit like a Las Vegas lounge act... but good.  :)




We did get a kick out of the camouflaged stilt walkers in the Italian section.  They were almost creepily camouflaged!  In fact, I was so entranced watching one that I didn't even notice another one right at my shoulder!  Yikes!   :)




The Peruvian Scissor Dancers - Wow!  I am confident these folks all need a serious osteopathic treatment after their show!  Ouch!  (I have a video to post later that will give you a taste of their show...)


This Peruvian harp was fascinating


Dearbhail Finnegan and Robin Slater - Favorites from previous years.  So glad this husband and wife team from Ireland were there again at World Fest.




Kenyan Sarakasi Acrobats - They were here a couple of years ago, but are always an exciting act to watch.  I liked how SDC utilized more areas this year, hosting shows in the Main Street area as well as in all the theaters.  (Again, I have a video that I need to put together and post soon - these fellas are pretty incredible to watch.)



George Kahumoku's Hawaiian Show - This was an entertaining group who sang traditional Hawaiian folk music accompanied by storytelling through hula dancing.  Very nice.



Sbandieratori Arezzo - Italian Flag Throwers - This was another 'Main Street Act'.



I was possibly more fascinated by this guy, though.... dressed as a plague doctor from the renaissance.  Kind of startling, at first.   :)



Russian Academic Band - More 'regulars' at World Fest.  They are an interesting group of Russian musicians who play Dixieland music... yes, Dixieland!  And a little Beatles music... and even some Russian folk songs.   :)



A trip to SDC wouldn't be complete without at least one show from the Homestead Pickers.  They will always be among my very favorite groups.  Trust me, these guys are super talented!!



And finally, Equador Manta.  We have been fans of them since our first visit to World Fest in 2005.  I could listen to them all day long.  Amazing sounds with South American instruments, particularly the variety of flutes.



We did attend the evening show in Echo Hollow Ampitheater on Saturday night.  A little cheesy humor, a lot of mainstream country music covers and some of the hardest working entertainers you'll find.  They sang two numbers at the end that were fantastic - a patriotic number and a gospel medley which included an a cappella version of Holy, Holy, Holy that was about as good as anything I have heard.





And Kristine, just so you don't think that my boys are always happy to have their photos taken... (ha!!!) here is what I saw through my lens most often at SDC....

hats and popcorn boxes make good shields from the camera, unfortunately.  :)



At least I did get this photo one day...



We spent part of one day shopping in Branson and just happened to drive by a Krispy Kreme store.  Uh oh.  Yes, I ate one and it was worth every single calorie!   :)  I also made up for it by going up and down Hill Street at SDC multiple times.



We looked for Susanna everywhere in the park on the day we saw this....   :)



We were seated at the famous 'rising table' at Molly's Mill restaurant.  It is designed to slowly and subtly raise higher and higher until the unsuspecting patrons discover their plates are at their chins.  We know the table well and didn't say anything when the waitress led us there.  (it had been awhile since we were last 'chosen')   The fellas ate the entire time - it didn't even slow them down.  I did finally give up until the waitress came back to reset the table.  Jackson enjoyed photographing my discomfort.  :)




It's getting pretty high... notice Marvin never even puts down his fork.  :D   ha!

Then it was time to load up and head back home.  Already looking forward to the next festival.  We might actually make it to Bluegrass and BBQ this year...   crossing my fingers!

I have a full album of photos and some short video clips that you can see at this link.  Hopefully soon I will get a video montage put together and posted here on the blog.

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it grand to have a blog so you can retrace these times in your life, Laura? It's amazing how much things stay the same and change with your lives. The boys are just so grown up. Glad you are documenting these things. : ) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, Mike. The main reason I started this blog is because I truly suck at scrapbooking. I always wanted to be someone who did that, but alas, it is not to be. And I love the idea of writing in a journal every night, but again... I can't make it stick. The blog has served as my visual family diary and I truly do love going back and looking over the old posts on the old blogs. Wow. My little guys HAVE grown up! And I even have some photos of YOUR youngins' documented there, too!! (not such youngins' anymore, eh?) I also have to laugh at the way we are such creatures of habit. We definitely do some things over and over (and over!). And yet, seasons still change, don't they?

    Wow, your comment made me all goopy and nostalgic! :) I think we need to share some ham sandwiches sometime soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL on the boys' picture.

    I had no idea when I began blogging how much of a real record it would be. With digital cameras, I very rarely have any "developed" (every two years or so?). My kids love to look back at our lives over the years. Blogging has been such a blessing, and I never suspected it.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, my niece used to back up the horse trailer for my mom. My niece was only 13 or 14 at the time. Long before she was a legal driver. LOL

    Second, this festival looks REALLY fun!

    Third, I have done little to no scrapbooking since I began blogging. It became my scrapbook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love the fact that Jackson is so confident and capable at driving and towing. I think learning young is a wonderful thing.

    And although we attend a lot of the festivals at Silver Dollar City, World Fest may just be my favorite. (although, I think whenever I come back from ANY of their festivals, THAT one is my 'favorite'.... ha!) But, truly, I just love the collection of cultures and entertainment that they bring in year after year after year. If you ever get to southwest Missouri in April/May, I highly recommend going. :)

    And I want to do that book thing that De'Etta did with her blog. I keep thinking I'll get to start working on that, then get sidetracked. Maybe this summer?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!