Sunday, May 5, 2019

The old high school

This is the old high school.  My Daddy (and many others in my family as well as people that I know) attended high school here.  I have grown up seeing this grand old building deteriorate and feeling sad about that whole situation.  At one point there was some hope that there was a buyer who would do something grand and wonderful with it.  But that didn't come to pass.  As the years have gone by it has become quite clear that the building would have to come down.  Sad, but true.  It is located just across the street from our church so one day when I went to Bible study I saw that the deconstruction had begun.  I snapped a couple photos.






A week or so later there was even more obvious 'progress'.




nearly completely down...

As is typical for me and this blog, these pictures are quite outdated.  The building is now fully down.  While I still feel sorry about the need for it to come down due to lack of upkeep over many years, I am very happy to learn about the plans for the site.  It will become a park and will be named in honor of our former Mayor who died earlier this year of cancer.  Not only will it be a lovely park and green space, but its location across the street from our church makes it doubly perfect because that man's father was a long time pastor of our church.  I think that is just perfect in so many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!