Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Deb's Morning Glory muffins

Deb's 'Easy Morning Glory Muffins'

Deb made these yummy muffins and I had to have the recipe!  She said she got it from Allrecipes but then sent me a note about the changes she makes.  Thanks Deb for another favorite recipe!!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/20995/easy-morning-glory-muffins/#







Typing out the recipe here for ease in the future....

Easy Morning Glory Muffins
2 cups all flour
¼ cups white sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt
2 cups shredded carrots
½ cup raisins
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1 apple - peeled, cored, and shredded
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.  In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.  Stir in the carrot, raisins, nuts, coconut, and apple.  In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, oil, and vanilla.  Stir egg mixture into the carrot/flour mixture just until moistened.  Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.  Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean.


And here are Deb's notes...

Normally, I sprinkle some oats on the top before baking even though they're not in the actual recipe. Oats are good on the top because they sort of help with the gummy surface.

I also like to throw in a spoonful of wheat germ, chia seeds, flax or whatever other trendy "healthy" thing I have laying around. It doesn't seem to make any difference in flavor. Any nuts also work pretty well, doesn't have to be walnuts.

We tend to have sweetened coconut on hand (rather than the unsweetened the recipe calls for), so I just cut way way down on the sugar (especially if the apples are sweet). Any kind of flour also works fine, if you like whole wheat or whatever.

I usually just use the bagged pre-shredded carrots you can buy at Walmart.

You can put them in single bags in the freezer, and just microwave them. Easy go-to morning food or snack. 

This recipe doesn't make that many, so I double it. (Because...if you're going to all that work to shred actual real carrots...  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!