Saturday, October 6, 2018

September Wine Club

(This post is from September 13)

I had no idea how much fun this would be!  I mean, I hoped we would learn something and have a nice evening, but it exceeded my expectations greatly!  Everyone brought a bottle of wine and a prepared recipe (recommendations and recipes taken straight out of the book we are using as our guide).  We filled our plates with the foods then began a blind taste test of each wine, one at a time.  I purchased this set to go along with our book and it provided the bags to put the wine bottles in so that we didn't know which wine we were sampling.  It also provided wonderful checklists for use during the wine tasting - providing us with ideas for what we were seeing, smelling, and tasting.  It all sort of walked us through the process and amazingly, we found we had some discernment!  :)  None of us had ever attempted this in any real way before.

September was Sauvignon Blanc month and we were surprised that each Sauvignon Blanc was truly unique in color, smell and taste.  Some we liked better than others, but all blended with the foods quite well.  Ironically, several of us preferred this months 'Ringer' wine which was a Vouvray.  :)  So, first official wine club night is in the books and we all agreed that we learned a lot and had a lovely evening.  October will be Zinfandel!  :)


Dana, Judy, Janet, Andrea, Barb, Laura

Grilled Shrimp with Creamy Tarragon Dipping Sauce

Tomatoes with blue cheese dressing

Chicken and Chile Quesadillas

Blueberry Ginger Sorbet

Lemon Meringue Tartlets

I never got a photo taken of the Creamy Corn and Potato Soup...  it was yummy!


hard to read my scribbles, but this was my wine sheet for the evening.  

And here are the wines from the evening...

The Ringer - a Vouvray 

Australian Sauvignon Blanc

Sancere from France

New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc

California Sauvignon Blanc

Chile Sauvignon Blanc

Pouilly-Fume from France

And don't worry... this is a wine tasting club, not a wine guzzling club.  ;)  ha!

Here are a few videos we watched for this month.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!