Monday, October 8, 2018

No boil yogurt (IP)

I have made yogurt twice now in the Instant Pot.  Both times I have made the no boil version.  I like it well enough.  The full version recipe scares me a little with all the straining of whey through a cheesecloth and etc.  Eventually, I will give it a try.  But for now, this works.  :)



Note - sometimes you have to drain off a little liquid when you open the storage container to each a serving.  Not a big deal... just know that is part of doing this 'quick and easy' version of IP yogurt.  :)

Instant Pot No Boil Yogurt
52 oz. Fairlife Ultra Filterd Milk, divided  (I have used whole and 2%.  The 2% is what leaves a little liquid leftover in storage.)
2 Tbsp. yogurt starter (use a yogurt with live, active cultures)
1 14oz. can sweetened condensed milk OR 16 oz. of creamer (low sugar is best)
1 cup heavy cream or half and half  (optional)
2-3 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)

Pour ¼ of the bottle of the milk into the inner pot.  Add 2 heaping Tbsp. of yogurt starter and whisk to blend completely.  Add the sweetened condensed milk or the creamer and whisk well.  Add the heavy cream and vanilla, if using, along with the rest of the Fairlife milk and whisk well to combine.

Place a lid on the Instant Pot.  I use the glass lid (an accessory you can purchase at amazon).  You do not need to use the heavy lid since you won't be bringing the yogurt to pressure, but you can use it (set on venting) if you don't have another lid.  You could also use a dinner plate.

Press the yogurt button (or dial) and set the time for 8 hours.  (9 hours if you want a more tart flavor)  The longer incubation time will create a tarter yogurt.

When the incubation time is finished, remove the inner pot from the Instant Pot and place in the refrigerator to chill.  I remove the glass lid and put on the silicone sealing lid at this point.  (an accessory you can purchase at amazon.)  Do not stir until it is fully chilled.  Yogurt should be nice and thick but you can strain it if you want it to be thicker (and not have the liquid leaking like I mentioned above).

To strain, place coffee filters in a strainer set over a bowl and pour the yogurt in the lined strainer (or use a yogurt strainer).  Place in fridge again to fully chill.

I have read about more flavoring options that I want to try in the future.  In those you would not use a flavored creamer, but would add in dry crystal lite powdered drink mix after the yogurt is made (before you chill).






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!