Thursday, December 15, 2016

Biscuits Supreme





These are the biscuits that I have been making for decades (when I make biscuits from scratch, that is!).  It is from the old red and white checked Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  (That is where my Fudge Brownies recipe comes from, too.)  I really should make these more often.  They are simple to make and so much better than canned biscuits.  (Although I have to admit that the frozen Grands biscuits are pretty darn close!!)  :D

Biscuits Supreme
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. cream of tartar
½ tsp. salt
½ cup shortening
⅔ cup milk

Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar, and salt.  Cut in shortening till mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Make a well in the center; add milk all at once.  Stir just until dough clings together.  Knead gently on a lightly floured surface for 10 to 12 strokes.  Roll or pat to ½ inch thickness.  Either cut dough with a knife into rectangles or use a round biscuit cutter.  Transfer to ungreased baking sheet.  Bake in a 450 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or till golden.  Serve warm.  

To make them Buttermilk Biscuits...
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. cream of tartar
½ tsp. salt
½ cup shortening
¾ cup buttermilk  (or you can use a powdered buttermilk added to water)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!