Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Pioneer Woman Sour Cream Pancakes

First of all, let me just state that breakfast should be purchased at a restaurant.  Every time I think "I'll just whip up breakfast" I go down in flames!  I am NOT the master of getting breakfast items to be finished at the same time and I more often than not end up burning things.  I told Marvin just this evening that I truly can cook a 5 course meal with far greater ease than I can cook breakfast!  sigh...

But anyway, I will share this recipe here because it turns out we did like it.  Throughout the entire process of making these pancakes I was unsure if they would turn out well.  When they were finished and on my plate, I honestly thought that I would NOT like them.  I had pretty well made up my mind.

They were not easy to flip and they definitely had a different consistency.  However, once I took a couple of bites, they began to really grow on me.  They do have a stronger egg taste than typical pancakes, but they are light as air.  I think one thing that might help is to NOT imagine them as pancakes... imagine them as light french toast.  That is what they truly remind me of.

Not only do I struggle with cooking breakfast, I also am not a food photographer.  :)   Strictly utilitarian, folks!


So here is the recipe!

From The Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook.
Edna Mae's Sour Cream Pancakes
1 cup sour cream
7 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
2 large eggs
½ tsp. vanilla extract
Butter and maple syrup to top pancakes

She says to heat an iron skillet or griddle at medium low heat right at the beginning.  After making these I do believe an iron skillet would work the best.  I also believe you should preheat before you mix the batter.  I didn't do either.

Place the sour cream, flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a medium size bowl.  Stir together very, very gently.  It is okay if the batter doesn't get totally combined.

Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl.  Add the vanilla and stir to combine.  Pour the egg mixture into the sour cream/flour mixture.  Stir together very, very gently.  Don't worry about the mixture being totally combined (again).

Melt a Tbsp. of butter in the skillet then pour the batter into the skillet ¼ cup at a time.  Cook for about 1 to 1 ½ minutes, then flip the pancakes over.  Cook for another 45 seconds and remove to a plate.  Repeat with the remaining batter.

Top with butter and syrup and serve immediately!

I made 1.5 of the recipe (1 ½ cups sour cream, etc.) and it fed our four nicely.  Neither boy ate a lot, but it was enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!