Tuesday, January 10, 2017

BBQ Pork Steak and Baked Potatoes (IP)


I sort of made this up (a combination of various recipes I read) and it worked out beautifully.

View looking down after everything was cooked

After I removed the potatoes and the rack to see the pork chops at the bottom


BBQ Pork Steak and Baked Potatoes in the Instant Pot
3 large pork steaks/chops
3 large potatoes, scrubbed
1 cup BBQ sauce
½ cup Country Bobs sauce
½ cup broth
garlic and onion to taste
black pepper to taste

Select Saute on Instant Pot and add a little oil to bottom of pan.  I used rock hard frozen-solid pork steaks/chops right out of my freezer.  (Note - you can use frozen meat in the Instant Pot as long as it isn't one big clump.  For instance, I did make sure the pork steaks/chops were separated.  And definitely use Natural Pressure Release for 10-15 minutes.)  I dumped them in the hot pan and sort of sautéed them for a couple of minutes.  Added in onion and garlic.  Then mixed up some BBQ sauce, Country Bobs, and broth in a bowl and poured over the top of the chops.  I set the rack on top of the chops and placed the 3 potatoes on top.

Hit cancel.  Then set Manual High pressure for 22 minutes.  I did a natural pressure release for about 10 minutes (I think... could have been longer when I finally got back to the pan...)  Release any remaining pressure and open lid.  Ready to serve!  Yum!

Note - I see no reason why you couldn't place the potatoes underneath the meat down in the sauce.  That would work just fine, too, if you would like the saucy taste to seep into the potatoes.

Another note - When using frozen meat it will take longer to come to pressure than when using raw meat.  So you don't need to adjust cooking time regarding frozen versus raw because during that time it is coming to pressure, it is already cooking.  This is something I am just now learning!  :)

SaveSave

3 comments:

  1. In your reading have you heard why you need to do the NPR with meat? I do it with rice as it cooks that brown rice the exact bit of extra time it needed. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to select that I wanted to be notified so I'm sending another so I get the reminder to hear your reply. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that if you do quick release on meat the meat can turn out dry. The quick release releases all the moisture. I would say that I agree with that. One of the first things I made was a pork chop recipe. The flavor was good, but I did a quick release and we all felt the chops were dry. I couldn't figure out why. Then began reading the advice to always let meat do NPR. I do believe letting the pressure go down on its own a bit (at least 10-15 minutes) lets that moisture stay in the meat.

      And I read a similar thing about soup. Again, my personal experience backs that up. Soup needs NPR most of the time because it can spurt out the venting if you do quick release. That happened to me and it was a mess! But now I do 5-10 minutes at least of NPR on soup and I haven't had that spurting problem since.

      I think I read about all this on the Facebook Instant Pot group. That group really has provided a wealth of information to me.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!