Monday, May 19, 2014

Senior Concerts

It's that time of year… final concerts and performances have been filling up our calendar the last couple of weeks.  Although I missed attending Brianna's senior choir concert, I did get to her final Jazz band and Concert band performances.

I have to admit that the night of the Jazz band concert I was not in the best mood heading in.  :(  It had been a difficult day/week and I was just 'down'.  But those kids turned it all around for me!  Their talent and enthusiasm literally had me tapping my toes within no time.

Jazz band
Brianna playing baritone saxophone

CJ did a fantastic job of arranging one particular piece they performed.



Enjoy this video snippet of the concert… including their impromptu jam session after the concert was over.  They just love to play together!






The final band concert was scheduled to be performed in the courtyard but had to be moved into the gym due to cold weather.  It was also great fun and we were especially proud when Brianna was presented with the John Schwartz award.

Concert band

Brianna on clarinet

Adrian in the middle on saxophone

Victor in percussion

Alaina in percussion



I knew the final band concert would be emotional because of the 'senior send-off' at the end of the performance.  It was truly beautiful and moving.  The final song is Old Scottish Melody (we often know as Auld Lang Syne).  During the course of the song all the band is playing, then just the seniors play, then they put down their instruments and stand as the rest of the band takes over.  Finally, the seniors file quietly out of the room.  It is all quite poignant and definitely tear-inducing.  :)  You can see the last bit of the song below...





Afterward we gathered in the band room to congratulate Brianna.  Shonda and Brianna were having a moment together when Alaina photobombed them.  :)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!