Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

This is a great recipe to make and freeze half.  I did just that several weeks ago and boy, did it come in handy to pull some out of the freezer last week when we got home from the state fair (to a house with no groceries!).  Everyone likes it so we will definitely have it again.

Here is the link to the original recipe that I copied below.

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

  • 1 rotisserie chicken
  • 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
  • 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
  • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
  • 1/4 cup milk  
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin 
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 package (8 ounces) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese (softened or cubed), cubed
  • 20 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
  • 4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend

Directions

  • Shred chicken and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, soups, milk and seasonings. Transfer 3-1/2 cups to another bowl; add chicken and cream cheese.
  • Spread 1/4 cup soup mixture into each of two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Place 1/3 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in baking dishes. Pour remaining soup mixture over tops; sprinkle with cheese.
  • Bake one casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Cover and freeze remaining casserole for up to 3 months.
  • To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 2 casseroles (5 servings each).





1 comment:

  1. Note - I made this again today but changed it up slightly. First, I made a half batch. I didn't use the cheddar cheese soup, but added in a container of Chobani plain greek yogurt, about 1/2 cup sour cream, and used a Southwest Seasoning blend instead of the other seasonings. I also only used about 3 ounces of cream cheese and about 1 cup of cheddar jack shredded cheese. I then layered it like a casserole - some sauce on bottom of pan, then flour tortillas, then sauce then flour tortillas, topped with a little shredded cheese. Very tasty and simple.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!