Monday, April 3, 2017

Pulled Pork Nachos


I found a wonderful (and labor intensive) recipe here.  I adapted it somewhat to make for dinner and it was pretty tasty.  Basically, I started with already cooked pork roast that we had leftover in the freezer.  Then I made the BBQ sauce from the recipe.  I also made the cheese sauce as directed in the recipe.  I should have made the sour cream/cilantro sauce, but didn't get around to it.  We made this for a big family dinner where we ate these nachos and also Loaded Nachos.  A good combination.



Pulled Pork Nachos
tortilla chips
I used leftover pulled pork that we had in our freezer
homemade BBQ sauce (recipe below)
homemade cheddar cheese sauce (recipe below)
Optional garnishes include sour cream, cilantro, chopped avocado

BBQ sauce for Pulled Pork Nachos
2 Tbsp. butter
1 ½ cups ketchup
⅓ cup worcestershire sauce
¼ cup steak marinade like Dale's Sauce
¼ cup pure maple syrup
2 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
½ tsp. onion powder
⅛ tsp. liquid smoke
fresh ground pepper

In a small saucepan, melt the butter then add the rest of the ingredients.  Bring to a boil then continue cooking over medium heat, about 5 minutes, stirring often.  


Cheddar Sauce for Pulled Pork Nachos
2 eggs
8 oz. evaporated milk (I just used the whole can)
1 tsp. dry mustard powder
½ tsp. worcestershire sauce
8 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I used more, I am sure)
1 Tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 1 Tbsp. water
salt, to taste, if needed

In a medium saucepan, whisk together the eggs and evaporated milk.  Turn heat to medium low and add mustard powder, worcestershire sauce, and half the shredded cheese.  Once the cheese begins to warm/melt, add in the cornstarch/water mixture.  Whisking frequently, gradually add the remaining cheese and cook until all is melted and smooth.  (about 10 minutes total)


To assemble the nachos - lay tortilla chips on baking sheet.  Pile on the warmed pulled pork.  Drizzle BBQ sauce over top followed by Cheddar sauce.  You can serve at that point, or you can put it in the oven to heat for a few minutes.  Garnish with sour cream sauce (½ cup sour cream, 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro leaves, 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lime juice, salt to taste).  Or you can just put the sour cream and some cilantro out on the table!  :D 


Pulled Pork Nachos on left, Loaded Nachos on right

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!