Saturday, August 13, 2016

First few days of the fair


Thursday, August 11 was the Opening Day of the 2016 Missouri State Fair.  It was also Daddy's last opening day as a commissioner (he goes off the fair board this year).  We all attended the opening ceremony in front of the Ag Building.  I smiled as I watched Governor Nixon turn around and wave at Daddy as he was introduced.  He didn't do that for anyone else.  ;)

Jim met us over there alone since Lucy had driven down to Boonville to meet her son and pick up 2 of her grandkids to bring back to the fair.  Immediately after the opening ceremony, Marvin and I headed to Trucks for a tenderloin.  A good opening day tradition.  :)  Then we watched some of the fair queen talent program.  The NEMO fair queen did a fiddle number that was pretty good.  

It was so hot (heat index well over 100) that we couldn't last through the entire opening day parade.  
:(  We got a corndog, ate it under the tent at the Woman's Building, and waved at Daddy as he went by.  Then we were off to the Matthewson Center for Cowboy Mounted Shooting.  Afterward, Jackson, Brianna, and Zack took Lily to see the Rodeo while the rest of us went back to the camper to relax.  :)

Friday was supposed to be cooler, and it technically was... but the rain came through and left behind 85% humidity.  ugh.  Marvin and I returned to Matthewson to see the queen contest finals.  2 of the top 10 girls were friends of Janna - from her same high school.  The eventual 2nd runner up was our NEMO fair queen.  That was pretty cool.  

We went to Trucks again for supper, followed by ice cream at the Gerken Dairy Center.  :D  Then back to Matthewson for another evening of Cowboy Mounted Shooting.  The kids went to see the Brett Eldridge concert at the grandstand.  Marvin and I enjoyed a leisurely tram ride back to the camper.  We spent some good time under the awning with Troy & Julie, Jim & Lucy.  Very nice.  

Saturday morning I relaxed at the camper as people came and went; tidying up a bit.  Marvin and I decided to eat lunch at the Pork Place - pulled pork sandwiches.  Then we went to Matthewson to watch some of the mule classes, including mule hitches.  Saturday evening we were there for the jumping mule contest - a crowd favorite (and favorite of ours, too!)  We missed seeing our favorite jumping mule from recent years, Killer.  :D  Although another favorite, Rabbit, ended up winning the evening.  

Marvin and I met Julie and Janna at the grandstand for the Foghat/Molly Hatchet/Steppenwolf concert.  Marvin got hit on by a drunk lady!  Don't worry... I fended her off!  :)  Marvin was too polite.  :D  

Below are many photos, but you can see an entire album of photos from the fair by clicking on this link.  


ready to head over to Opening Day ceremony at the Ag Building

Brianna, Jackson, Adrian, Zack, Jonathan, and Marvin at opening ceremony

There is Daddy!



Jim and Marvin

Mama, Daddy, Jim, Brianna, Jackson, Adrian, Zack, Jonathan, Marvin 

Mama, Daddy, Jim, Brianna, Laura, Adrian, Zack, Jonathan, Marvin 





1st tenderloin at Trucks... Yum!

The kids had the same idea!!  :D 

one of Janna's friends competing in the queen contest

at Matthewson Center

Opening day parade - Director of Ag and Fair Director in MU mule wagon


There's Daddy!


Last years fair queen - she was a great one!


Cowboy Mounted Shooting


We stopped by the 4H building to see a local boy give a presentation.  :)

Top 10 queen finalists (with last years fair queen)

our own Miss NEMO in the red dress on right

gotta check out the tractors   :)


Mocha Cappuccino at Gerken Dairy Center!  :)

Matthewson Center - we spend a lot of our time here!

looking across the fairgrounds toward the Coliseum (from Matthewson)

smoothing out the  dirt for the competition

I spy my crowd!  :)  (I was walking in from across the building)

cowboy mounted shooters in the warm-up ring










this camper in the campground had a great deck!

Saturday morning - ready to go again!


Mule hitches - Unicorn hitch

at the Pork Place


jumping mule contest




Brianna and I love this competition!  :D

at the grandstand for the Molly Hatchet, Fought, Steppenwolf concert

Julie and Janna

Molly Hatchet

Foghat

Steppenwolf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!