Sunday, August 26, 2012

Tina's Squash Casserole

This recipe is an old favorite around here - another great one from dear Tina who also gave me the Southwest Salad recipe.  This summer there has been an abundance of yellow squash and zucchini allowing for lots of yummy recipes.  This was posted on my old blog but the post has since gotten lost (long story) so I am posting it here again.



Tina's Squash Casserole
2 pounds yellow summer squash  (I split this between yellow squash and zucchini)
1 cup* onion, chopped  (or can use a couple of green onions)  (*Note, we like a lot of onion; you might want to decrease this amount.)
1 green pepper, chopped
3/4 cup light sour cream
1 can reduced sodium condensed Cream of Chicken soup
1 pkg. Corn Bread Stuffing Mix
2 grated carrots

Fix the stuffing mix as directed on package.  Spray skillet with nonstick spray and lightly saute the yellow squash and zucchini.  In a separate bowl, mix together the onion, green pepper, sour cream, chicken soup and carrots.  Save back about 1 cup of prepared stuffing mix then add the rest to the mixing bowl with other ingredients.  Add in the sauted squash and mix well.  Pour mixture into baking pan and sprinkle the rest of the stuffing mix on top of casserole.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. Looks great - one ? is the squash sliced or diced? if sliced how thick? Thanks Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of make that determination based on whether I am using large or small squash. If large, I tend to cut the whole thing in half or even quartered lengthwise, then slice fairly uniform chunks. If the squash are smaller, I often just slice them up - probably about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. I think the main goal is to make the pieces fairly uniform in size, and since I saute them lightly before baking I know that they will be fully cooked in the final product. Hope you enjoy the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!