Okay, this is a fantastic way to cook bacon. You can do it all in your oven with no smoky, 'bacon air' filling up your house, and minimal clean up. I am hooked!! In fact, I made several batches this way to take to the state fair for easy BLT's in the camper. To do that I simply pulled it out a tiny bit before it was done then dried it on paper towels and put it in freezer bags lined with waxed paper. To use in the camper we zapped in the microwave for about 20 seconds and had tasty, crisp bacon slices ready to use!
Line a baking sheet with foil. (this step helps with the cleanup later) Place bacon slices on the foil. I used 2 baking sheets for a pound of bacon. Place the baking sheets in the center rack of a COLD oven. (Do NOT preheat the oven. Although, I will admit that when I made multiple pounds I just put the next batches in the already hot oven and then kept a closer eye on the timing, adjusting according to preferred doneness.) Close oven door, turn on oven temperature to 400 degrees and walk away. :)
Come back in about 17 to 20 minutes and check progress. If you like the bacon burnt (like my fellas around here like it) it might take a bit longer than that - more like 23 to 25 minutes. Just adjust the total cooking time to your personal preference. Remove pans from oven, transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate or platter to dry/drain. Either eat immediately or freeze as mentioned above. Let the pans cool, then fold up the bacon grease in the foil and throw away!


Huh, I will have to try this. :)
ReplyDelete