I have hesitated to post this story, but honestly, it really is kind of funny. So, here goes...
A few weeks ago Shonda and I were out walking on the trail when we noticed a young man cutting across the lawn next to K-Life. Neither of us paid much attention, other than noting that he was there. We see kids cut through this area often. Later, on the other side of the trail, I heard a voice behind me ask quietly, "Do either of you have a cell phone that I could use to call my Dad?" Well, considering my cell phone was in my right hand, I couldn't very well say, "No", could I? It was that same kid and although he looked a bit scruffy, I didn't really have any alarm bells go off.
However, it takes a little time for me to get my cell phone ready for someone to actually make a call on it! :) I had to unlock the screen, open my pedometer and turn it off, then put it on a dial pad before I could hand it to him. That took at least a minute or so. At this point he said, "You all can keep walking. I'll keep up." Hmmmm.... Shonda and I just got on either side of him and kept with HIS pace, which was barely a crawl. I do admit that I was feeling a little more alert at this point, but I knew that Shonda and I were both paying very close attention and I thought that surely he wouldn't be able to run off with my phone.
I was aware of a car going past me on the street but was keeping my attention on the young man so didn't look. Then I realized a car was idling in the street right next to me. That got my attention and when I turned it was a friendly police officer. He said 'Hi' and I said "Hi" back. He then asked if the young man was with us. I smiled and said, "No, he is just using my cell phone." I thought it was really quite nice of him to be checking on me and Shonda like that. (Note, I really am still NOT getting anything at this point... can you call me SLOW?)
Then, I see that other car that had driven past was stopped in the road and the fella had gotten out and was walking diagonally across the street toward our little group. I instantly recognized him and at THAT point I finally figured out what was going on! It was Jerry R. who works for the establishment that is across the street from K-Life! He and the friendly police officer were looking for an escapee and they had just found him! With me and Shonda! On my phone!!! Stupidly, I say out loud, "Ooooohhhh!! Now I understand!" The young man just turned to me and handed me back my phone then resignedly walked to the police car.
Shonda and I looked at each other then started back walking. A few seconds later she chuckled and quietly said, "Yeah, I really don't think Jeremy is gonna let me hang out with you anymore..."
:D
Dear Laura,
ReplyDelete"Stay foolish" - Steve Jobs
We love who you are! :)
Peace
Kerry