Yes, that really IS a real thing. :) You may remember that Jackson and Jonathan have long had
Boffer 'weapons' that they joust around with. Jackson even participated in an after school Boffer club for a year that he hopes to get re-started this coming fall. What is a Boffer sword, you ask? It is a piece of PVC pipe covered completely with foam (we use the foam matting you can purchase in the camping section of Walmart to place under a sleeping bag) and then completely covered in duct tape. The result is a sturdy but safe 'weapon' that kids (of all ages, apparently!) enjoy jousting and 'fighting' with. Truly, it isn't violent at all. But it sure IS a great energy release!! :)
Cody had been wanting to make his own so this past week Jackson and Jonathan brought him over to do just that. Assembly doesn't take too long, especially if you have multiple sets of hands helping. Below are several photos but you can see an entire album by
clicking here.
 |
| Cody, Jackson and Jonathan wrapping the PVC pipe with foam. |
 |
| Then you begin to cover it all with duct tape. |
 |
| Jackson taking a quick text break... :) |
 |
| Jonathan preparing an end piece. |
 |
| Cody with his new Boffer weapon! |
 |
| Jonathan, Cody and Jackson |
Then it was on to the fun stuff! A Boffer War outside!
 |
| It was Cody and Jonathan against Jackson. |
 |
| Mann down!! :D |
 |
| Aaaaaagghhhh!!! :) |
 |
| A surprise new competitor emerges from the house!! |
 |
| This picture cracks me up! I love the look Cody has as he watches Marvin and Jackson. :D |
 |
| When all else fails, abandon your weapon and just jump on your competitor?? :) |
 |
| Jackson and Marvin |
 |
| Marvin realizes he isn't as young as he used to be! :D (but he did pretty well, I think!!) |
 |
| Jonathan, Jackson and Cody - fun day! |
I just giggling over the post (when Marvin comes out to get Jackson) and my hubby & oldest son came over to look. I see a "boffer sword" making session in our future. :-) Hubby said, "That looks seriously fun."
ReplyDelete:) I think all males LOVE this!! :)
ReplyDeleteThey are pretty simple to make, but if you have any questions, let me know. I'll have one of the boys answer for me. :D Also, I should probably add a post about 'how' you play. There are rules for play, but of course, I have no real idea what they are. I'll get the boys to help me write them up soon.
I remember you writing about this before and thinking we should make some. I'm motivated now....the kids use light sabers and wooden swords, but this seems less prone to painful accidents. I'd love to hear the rules - but suspect handing out swords would be all I need to really do to instigate some fun.
ReplyDeleteSince I never seem to get around to writing up a separate blog post about the rules of Boffer, I thought I would just post them here in a comment. Please ask questions if you have any...
ReplyDeleteThe basic rules are that you can hit any area except the head. Arms, legs and main body are the primary point areas, garnering 1 point per hit. If you get hit twice (2 points against you) you are out. I guess there really aren't that many rules now that I made Jonathan come in here and tell me about them. :D